Red hot Manchester United will be taking on Southampton in the English League Cup Final this Sunday, February 26th at London’s famous Wembley Stadium. United is coming off of a 1-0 away win over Saint Etienne in France on Wednesday in a group-of 32 Europa League game. They advanced to the next round by winning 4-0 on aggregate following a 3-0 victory at Old Trafford a week earlier. Southampton’s last game was back on February 11th when they thumped Sunderland 4-0 away in a Premier League game.
Manchester United vs Southampton – bet365 Soccer Betting Line:
- bet365 currently lists Man United as the favorites to win the game at 4/5 with Southampton 15/4 and a draw at 5/2
bet365 Soccer Bonuses:
- With bet365’s Euro Soccer Bonus you can earn up to 100% more on your returns if you place accumulators on the Premier League, Champions League, Bundesliga, Primera Liga or Serie A. Place a pre-match accumulator of three or more selections on the Full Time Result or Result/Both Teams To Score markets combining teams in any of these competitions, and if successful, bet365 will add the relevant bonus to your returns.
- With the Bore Draw Money Back offer even a goalless draw is never the worst result with bet365 – if you place a pre-match bet on any Correct Score, Half-Time/Full-Time or Scorecast market for any Soccer match and the game finishes 0-0, bet365 will refund your stake if the bet loses.
- With the Each-Way First Goalscorers offer you can have an Each-Way First Goalscorer bet on any match, and be safe in the knowledge that if your player scores at any time during the game we will pay you out! Each-Way bets are settled on all goalscorers at 1/3 odds for unlimited places in 90 minutes play.
Manchester United vs Southampton – Head to Head:
- These two teams last met in August in the Premier League with Man United winning 2-0 at home. United won 3-2 away last season with Southampton winning their away match 1-0. It was Southampton’s second win in their last 15 meetings in all competitions and they have just five victories in the past 27 encounters. Overall, they’ve met 120 times with United winning, 62, losing 28 and drawing 30.
Manchester United – A Closer Look:
Man United has gone 16 Premier League games without a loss,, but they have dropped 14 points during the streak with seven draws and nine wins. They enter the weekend in sixth place in the Premier League standings after 25 games with 48 points from 13 wins, nine draws and three defeats. They’ve scored 38 goals and conceded 21. Overall, United has lost just one of their past 24 games in all competitions with 21 victories in their past 34. Their last defeat came at the hands of Hull City 2-1 away back in January in the League Cup semifinals, but United advanced to their ninth final by winning 3-2 on aggregate.
United has seven wins, three draws and two defeats away from home in the league this year with 19 goals scored and 12 allowed. They’re 12 points behind league-leading Chelsea and just four adrift of second-place Manchester City. They’re also only two behind Tottenham and Arsenal and one points back of fifth-place Liverpool. Manager Jose Mourinho could be short a few players for the cup final as midfielders Michael Carrick and Henrikh Mkhitaryan are questionable along with striker Wayne Rooney.
Defender Phil Jones is currently on the team’s injury list and forward James Wilson is likely to miss the remainder of the season. United beat Northampton Town 3-1 away in this season’s League Cup campaign and added a 1-0 home victory over Man City and before beating West Ham United 4-1 at home in the quarterfinals. They then beat Hull 2-0 at home in the semifinals before losing 2-1 in Hull. Man United has reached eight previous League Cup Finals with four victories and four defeats. Their last appearance and win came back in 2009/2010.
Southampton – A Closer Look:
The Saints enter the contest in 11th spot in the league with 30 points out of a possible 75. They have eight wins, six draws and 11 losses with 28 goals for and 31 against. They have no hope of challenging for the title and even a Europa League berth for a top-six finish seems to be out of reach as they’re currently 18 points behind Man United. On the bright side, they have a 10-point lead on 18th-place Hull City and the relegation zone.
Southampton has three wins, a draw and six losses in their past 10 league games with 14 goals scored and 16 allowed. They have three wins away from home along with three draws and seven defeats while scoring 14 goals and conceding 17. This will be the club’s second appearance in an English League Cup Final. They were beaten 3-2 by Nottingham Forest in 1978/79 in their first final. Southampton took on Premier League opponents in all their League Cup games this campaign and didn’t allow a goal against.
The Saints advanced to the final by beating Liverpool 1-0 home and away in the semifinals after downing Arsenal 2-0 in the quarterfinals. They also beat both Crystal Palace and Sunderland 2-0 in the earlier rounds. Southampton has a few injury concerns as defender Virgil Van Dijk is expected to miss the game while midfielder Sofiane Boufal is questionable. In addition, midfielder Jeremy Pied is out for the rest of the season while forward Charlie Austin and midfielder Matthew Targett aren’t expected back for a few more weeks.
Manchester United vs Southampton – Takeaway:
Man United’s on a roll at the moment and manager Jose Mourinho may be a bit dull and defensive, but he’s definitely going to go for the silverware here while he has the chance. Southampton would be foolish not to go for it as well since they’ve really got nothing else to play for this season.
Click here to learn more about bet365 soccer betting.