Manchester United of the English Premier League wrap up their two-legged Europa League quarter-final clash at home at Old Trafford against Anderlecht of Belgium this Thursday, April 20th. The two sides played to a 1-1 draw in Brussels last Thursday. Anderlecht reached the quarterfinals by beating Apoel Nicosia of Cyprus 2-0 on aggregate in the round of 16 while Man United downed FC Rostov of Russia 2-1.
Manchester United vs Anderlecht – bet365 Europa League Betting Line:
- bet365 currently lists Man United as the favorites to win the 90-minute game at 1/4 with Anderlecht 10/1 and a draw at 19/4
bet365 Soccer Bonuses:
- With bet365’s Euro Soccer Bonus you can earn up to 100% more on your returns if you place accumulators on the Premier League, Champions League, Bundesliga, Primera Liga or Serie A. Place a pre-match accumulator of three or more selections on the Full Time Result or Result/Both Teams To Score markets combining teams in any of these competitions, and if successful, bet365 will add the relevant bonus to your returns.
- With the Bore Draw Money Back offer even a goalless draw is never the worst result with bet365 – if you place a pre-match bet on any Correct Score, Half-Time/Full-Time or Scorecast market for any Soccer match and the game finishes 0-0, bet365 will refund your stake if the bet loses.
- With the Each-Way First Goalscorers offer you can have an Each-Way First Goalscorer bet on any match, and be safe in the knowledge that if your player scores at any time during the game we will pay you out! Each-Way bets are settled on all goalscorers at 1/3 odds for unlimited places in 90 minutes play.
Manchester United vs Anderlecht – Head to Head:
- Man United and Anderlecht have now met just seven times in the past with Man United winning four, losing two and drawing one. Anderlecht was the first-ever European club Man United faced back in 1956. United won that match 2-0 in Belgium and then thumped the Belgian side 10-0 back in England two weeks later. They met again in 1968 with United winning 3-0 at home and losing 3-1 in Brussels. The fifth meeting took place in September of 2000 at Old Trafford with Man United winning 5-1. Their last encounter was held a month later in Belgium with Anderlecht winning 2-1.
Manchester United – A Closer Look:
Man United closed out the group stage of this year’s tournament as runners-up in Group A with 12 points from four victories and a pair of defeats with 12 goals scored and four conceded. United is currently undefeated in their past seven European outings with five wins and two draws. They beat Saint Etienne of France in the round of 32 before eliminating Rostov in the next round. United has met just one other Belgian club in their history as they beat Club Brugge 7-1 on aggregate in the 2015/16 Champions League playoffs.
The Europa League is the only European competition Man United hasn’t won as of yet. They reached the final eight in 1984/85 and were ousted in a penalty shootout by Videoton. United’s Swedish striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic has five goals in this year’s tournament and scored five times against Anderlecht in just two meetings during the 2013 Europa League group stage while playing for Paris Saint-Germain of the French Ligue 1.
Man United is still in fifth place in the English Premier League with 16 wins, 12 draws and three defeats. They’ve scored 48 goals and allowed just 24 against. They last played on Sunday when they downed first-place Chelsea 2-0 at Old Trafford. United is now 15 points behind the league leaders with a game in hand and is still trying to climb into the top four to earn a spot in next season’s Champions League tournament. They currently trail fourth-place Manchester City by four points with a game in hand and are undefeated in their past 22 Premier League contests with 12 wins and 10 draws.
Anderlecht – A Closer Look:
Anderlecht was eliminated in the third qualifying round of this year’s Champions League tournament and was sent down to the Europa League. They finished the group stage as runners-up in Group C with 11 points from three wins, two draws, and a loss while scoring 16 goals and allowing eight against. They beat Russian club Zenit Saint Petersburg in the round of 32 on the controversial away-goals rule before beating Apoel Nicosia in the next round.
Anderlecht enters this contest as the league leaders in the Jupiler League in Belgium after 30 games with a two-point lead over second-place Brugge. They had 61 points from 18 wins, seven draws and five losses with a league-high 67 goals scored and 30 allowed. They’re now competing in the playoffs and have two wins and a draw for a six-point lead over both Gent and Brugge. Their last game was a 1-0 win at Oostende on Monday.
Anderlecht is unbeaten in their past seven games with five wins and two draws. They also have just two losses in their past 21 games. The Belgian side has met English teams 33 times in the past now with seven wins, 20 defeats and six draws to their name. All seven of their wins have been at home along with seven losses and three draws. Anderlecht is winless on their 15 previous visits to England with two draws and 13 defeats.
Manchester United vs Anderlecht – Takeaway:
- United may have to win the Europa League to make the Champions League next season, so they’ll be pumped up for this game. If it ends in a 1-1 draw it will go to 30 minutes of extra time. If it’s still level it will then be decided by a penalty shootout. If the game ends in a 0-0 draw Man United will advance. If the game ends in a 2-2 draw or higher then Anderlecht will advance. If either team wins the contest they will advance.
Click here to learn more about bet365 soccer betting.